Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Semi Annual Posting

Hello again, strangers! New aesthetic! I got kinda tired of the bubblegum sweet thing and the tiny baby blue font you could barely read. I think this is still positive and colorful, but definitely different. I'm excited! And I also kinda gave up finding a layout that matches the banner (black and blue is kind of limiting) so... it's just gonna be a cute token standout type thing haha. Welp I haven't written in ages so looks like it's time to catch up! Let's see what I remember.


  • GALA has been wonderful. I've learned so many new things and met the coolest people. Working in theatre is an all new wonderful experience. I'm taking everything I learned from my old jobs and applying it to something that matters to me. Truly matters. I feel fulfilled, honestly. Like, on my own. No dumb boy building my self esteem. God got me here and I made sure I earned my stay. Some days are busy. Others are so slow. But there's always something to work on and creative people to work with. It's amazing. I've already been here almost 4 whole months and gotten a pretty nice raise. Heeeeeyyyy
  • I saw Todrick Hall live. Yo. He's an amazing performer. Like full out costumes and choreography and everything. It's almost unreal. Especially because he sounds JUST like his recordings, adlibs and all. The boy has some pipes. And when you realize how much of that is self made? It's crazy. His work ethic is insane. He's the real deal.
  • Superfruit is easily the most fun concert I have ever been to in my life. What a blast. With the nicest crowd, too! And the vocals are so so so good. They sang every single song from their album and we all danced the night away. The opener, Pretty Sister, is also now all over my playlist. I checked him out night before the show and I'm so glad I did 'cause he makes some bops and singing along at the concert was the best.
  • Foster the People are pretty dang great but Paramore live was an emotional experience beyond words. Not only are they absolutely as brilliant as you'd expect. Not only are they still the coolest people ever. But my heart felt every single song. It was so special to me I'll never forget it.
  • Walk the Moon are such nerds and I love their crazy fun energy. Misterwives are one of the most talented groups I've ever seen. 30 Seconds to Mars put on one hell of a show, even if we all miss Tomo.
  • GALA's youth program is immensely talented and seeing them create such amazing art that speaks with their true voices is beautiful. So proud to be part of a place that supports them.
  • So much more live theatre! Studio's show was insanely good. I finally saw Heathers live and it was too catchy. Sister Act is a lot of disco nuns and as usual the skill at MC SDT is off the charts. And of course, shows at GALA were incredible. Stories with meaning and heart and passion and the greatest performers. Holy nonsense. Have I mentioned how proud I am of this company?
  • I'M ALL CAUGHT UP ON MARVEL. Both Netflix and the films, newest ones included! That's one resolution crossed off the list. Shout out to Alex 'cause he had all the movies. I am grateful to him for being patient with me as I freaked out over lots of attractive nerds. Infinity War wrecked me, no one is surprised.
  • I have been seeing Xabiel a lot lately. I'm so grateful for that kid. Watching his growth in his spiritual journey has been beautiful. He really is a whole new person in the best way. I am happy for him and, in the same way he has been a great and supportive friend to me, I want to be a support and guide for him.
  • Nestor, Abby, Jaroll, and I helped plan a youth conference at church and it went so well! I poured a lot of myself into those games to make sure the guests had the best time possible, and I think we all left having enjoyed ourselves and having proven that we could pull off an awesome weekend. The services themselves were so good and the guest pastors' sermons hit me very hard in the best way. Pastor was really happy with our work and I got to work with one of my favorite teams.
  • Church is now also allowing me to help out with sound and the facebook live recording. I've wanted to serve in this area for ages now so I feel really happy that I've been given the opportunity.
  • Evan & Ali have an apartment now! Shared with some college friends. It's very lovely and I think it's a good place for them. They invited me to their housewarming party and I went, which was so so intimidating. But I had a great time and got to chat with lots of good people. I'm glad they have friends like that to look out for them.
  • Families Belong Together happened. Hundreds, maybe thousands, of people got together in my favorite city and stood up for what we know is right. We all want these children to be with their families and for this nation to do better. I'm blessed to have shared this day with my own family. We heard Lin-Manuel Miranda sing live (precious baby changed keys but that's okay). Each and every speaker moved me, some to tears, with relevant and powerful stories that I wish I could share with the world. And the signs were all brilliant.
  • Puzzles. So many more puzzles.
  • My channel is on hiatus. This was initially unplanned. Grid kinda fell apart on me, so I had to switch over to Argon. She's been working great but she doesn't have my editing software. To get it onto Argon, I need to buy it for $60. Can't afford that right now SO I'm on hiatus. Once I get the software, it'll be back up. In the meantime, I have a bit more time to myself. I also want to revamp the channel. More about me. Because I put a lot of work into it and I want to reflect what it's really become about. No tea, no shade. I'm not trying to be petty. But I want the channel to be my safe space where I can express and create and just be. It's my channel. And I want everyone to know it right away. I'm working with an old classmate on something and I really hope it works out.
  • I bought Years & Years tickets! After being in love with them for 3 years. There's finally a North American tour and I'm going! I'm SO EXCITED. And their album Palo Santo is everything.
  • Speaking of music, as we always do, I'm gonna go to hell for how many times I've blasted God is a Woman. The 1975 has come back with new music. Almost Love is so catchy. Panic! is still perfect. Hadestown has such a good soundtrack. Will Jay's Broke is my new anthem.
  • Spent 4th of July with Mariah. I was brave and drove to Virginia and made it there and back safe. I was super careful, and I'm proud of myself for keeping my cool. Fireworks were pretty and the weather was so good - God waited until I got home for rain to happen. I met lots of cute puppies INCLUDING A LITTLE 9 WEEK OLD HUSKY. And we watched The Incredibles 2. So fab. It was my first time in an Alamo Drafthouse. I get it now. I see what all the hype is about. I want one.
  • DJ turned 2 and Cristina turned 5. I am a proud Tia and I love celebrating with these babies.
  • Oceans 8 made me so happy y'all. I walked out of there feeling like I could do anything.
  • Lin-Manuel Miranda is releasing a book of his good morning/good night tweets. Better believe I will buy it as soon as I can.
  • I'm basic and I keep buying myself clothes INCLUDING that Maryland flag bandeau I've wanted for ages. I love that thing so much.
  • I am not ashamed to admit how OBSESSED I am with Queer Eye. I could watch the Fab 5 file their taxes and be entertained.
  • Church has taken over my life because I have goals and aspirations for this congregation and I am willing to work to see them happen. I think Pastor knows that. As a result, I've been a better teacher and I've been active in evangelizing. I miss having the free time but I'm so happy this is a part of my life now.
  • Since starting at GALA, I'm in DC a lot more. I love it. It's such a thriving city and being in the sun in this area fills me with the best kind of life.
  • RED VS BLUE SEASON 16 STARTED OUT WEIRD BUT THEN GOT SO DANG GOOD.
  • Blind Wave reactions are killing it, they pick such good shows
  • THE WORLD CUP HAPPENED. I wanted Croatia to take it not gonna lie. Still, lots of good games all around. I knew my Brazilian boys wouldn't win but props to them for being the final Latin Americans before it became a European Cup. And again, don't even care who won because I watched some really good futbol!
  • Visiting Karla's church brings me joy. Especially when the lesson is on exactly what I need. Glad she has good people in the faith over there.
  • DJ loves Moana and it's the cutest
  • GENLOCK IS A THING! Rooster Teeth is killing the game, and they hired an all-star cast. I'm so proud??!?
  • Visited McDaniel for The Bakkhai, Harveys, and graduation. Each time made me so damn proud of my babies (even if a scare was involved). Each time also made me realize how happy I am to be where I am and not where I was/they are. Remember how badly I missed it? Yeah bump that my life is great and I'm no longer living in the past haha. I will always love that place and support it with all I have. But it really doesn't even need to be mine anymore. They can have it. I took care of it for as long as I could and now I have a new job.
  • Went to Westminster for a separate thing. Dinner with my mentees. Specifically Sarah, Torreke, and Ben. I wanted to treat them as a graduation present. And since only 3 came, it was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than I budgeted for. They're all such good kids. I enjoy their company a lot. And I made it a point not to be the nosy source of stress that asks all about their future plans or whatever. I am not worried. They've got it handled, and I will be there to cheet them on.
  • OH RIGHT. GALA won 9 Helen Hayes Awards - most wins of any company OR production in Helen Hayes history. It was a big effing deal guys. And that night was so fun. I saw so many old friends there. What a blessing we all get to LIVE in this great field and this hectic city
  • Campamento happened. It was rainy and kind of gloomy but I love the Mendozas for hosting me and I love my dear friends so very much. I laughed a lot and am so happy for all the fun we have together. I'm grateful to get away for a bit.
  • Our choir at church is working on new hymns and one of them is my favorite we've ever done. It's so pretty and I hope we do it justice.
  • Attack on Titan is back and so is Fan Service! Which hopefully means I'll be getting back into anime soon. Between Fan Service and SSAnime (Storm's channel), I've got lots of good recommendations.
  • My pillars broke. The 4 people I relied on the most proved not to be reliable anymore. And instead of breaking with them, I just built myself a new house. I didn't let it destroy me. It wasn't the easiest transition. Still isn't. But the people around me now are the people that love me and support me through anything, without me needing to compromise myself and put them on pedestals. I do not ever want to be that dependent on others again. I'm doing bad all by myself and, as much as I want these people, I now know I don't NEED them. My relationships are healthier and I honestly feel invincible.

No comments:

Post a Comment